Board of Directors

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Meditating with Five Dogs

This isn’t about meditating with five dogs. It’s about meditating in spite of having five dogs. Yes, I’m batty enough to have five dogs. Why do you think I try to meditate?

I’m doing all the right things…comfortable clothing, focus on my breath, everything is quiet, I’m sitting crossed legged on my meditation stool and just starting to relax and focus. Then, this cold wet nose nudged my hand. I open my eyes and there’s my Fox Terrier who looks like a Beagle sitting in front of me wanting attention. I can’t help but smile and rub her face, something she loves. She leaves. She got what she wanted and now I’m left with getting back to trying to focus on my breath.

Ten minutes later, something gets my Jack Russell’s attention and I hear this muffled, “Boof, boof.” Before long, all hell breaks loose and…well, have you ever had five dogs in your house barking all at the same time before they race out into the yard at some imaginary something?

I try to remember what my Yoga teacher taught me. Meditation can be done in spite of distractions, like having an itch, or a wandering thought. He never mentioned five dogs barking at the same time.

I can’t help but smile. Even ten minutes of quieting my mind has helped me be calm before I go and round up all five mutts so my neighbors, and I, don’t go crazy. Normally, I would scream at them from the front door to shut up. I'm not really sure what drives my neighbors nuts. Me screaming or the dogs barking. Maybe I should tell my neighbors about meditation?...

1 comment:

  1. I have been dog-sitting a rescue puppy...some kind of lahsa apso-ish/terrier...and whatever? mix...
    She never walks, or even runs, anywhere - instead she bounces (or, as I like to call it "boing boings")..the other day I was trying to meditate and she pulled the wet nose in the face trick, then a whiny complaint, then she brought me a snack bone, and then a ball...finally she realized that I wasn't going to play...and she lay down on her back in front of me, paws up, (sort of like the yoga "corpse" posture) and went to sleep...

    the next day when I sat down to meditate, she automatically assumed the "corpse" posture and went to sleep...

    I wish the same sort of enlightenment for your dogs

    ReplyDelete